Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wrapping Up 2011

To change things up for the last training run of the year on Saturday, 31 December, I signed up for the Flint New Year's Eve Resolution 8K. After a one week vacation, training increased to 5 miles so the event was the perfect distance.

I'm here to tell you it was a little scary going by myself and figuring out the ropes, but it was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the hoopla of an actual event. That it was an 8K was just perfect and there is something about being passed by old people those with handicaps that puts a little extra fuel in the tank!

The good news is that I didn't finish last in my age group! In fact, my time was 1:01:19 averaging 12:20 per mile, which I felt pretty darn good about. I may have even been under an hour but I dropped my headband and had to go back to retrieve it. 

All in all, it was a great experience, I have a sweatshirt to show for my efforts, and it was the perfect opportunity to reflect on how far I've come during this challenging year.