Sunday, December 18, 2011

Life Is Full of Adjustments

I was supposed to play tennis tonight. Running is changing my body and the last couple of times I played tennis, I felt off balance. My agility and endurance have improved and I can definitely get to shots I never would have been able to reach before. I just don't feel grounded...weird.

Anyway, instead of playing doubles for two hours tonight, I opted for a 1 mile 'get my muscles moving' run this morning. Now that we're moving up in miles, I figured it was the perfect time to get used to carrying water with me so I'm ready for my longer runs.

I have both a handheld bottle and a belt with a water bottle attached. Both feel cumbersome, never having run with anything attached to me.

In the end, I opted for the belt because I couldn't imagine running with a bottle strapped to my hand. Then again, it may have more to do with needing both hands free so when I feel the urge to whip out my iPhone at a photo stop, I'll be ready.

The belt felt awkward and heavy on my back during my morning run. No doubt once I get used to it, I'll appreciate the chance for a swig when I'm 4 miles in. Just like everything, it's an adjustment...and hopefully I'll feel grounded on the tennis court again soon too!