Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Finding The Motivation

I've been wanting to run for years however the mind was willing but the heart and body were weak. To get myself off the sofa, I knew I needed an extra push. some sort external motivation to keep me going.

Team In Training with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was exactly the catalyst I was looking for...a structured program in a team environment with experienced trainers, something my body could get into. Their mission of raising money to cure blood cancers was something my heart could get behind.

When I went to the informational session, I met coaches and a few others who said they had sat in my seat just a year ago. An LLS staff member said she had never run before and positively glowed when she showed off her medal and told us how thrilling it was to cross the finish line.

Sign-up form in hand, I was given a choice of doing a triathlon (yeah, right!), running or walking a marathon or a half marathon. Although my eventual goal is to do a full marathon, I thought it best to start small and work my way up considering these old legs hadn't run one mile straight for nearly 30 years.

Then we had to choose which event we'd like to run. Our choices ranged from Cincinnati, to Nashville, to Vancouver, BC or even Madrid, Spain. As awesome as Vancouver or Madrid sounded, I chose Cincinnati for my first attempt because I can drive there. It was also a plus that I would need to raise less money to participate.

Sign-up form completed, I was welcomed aboard and handed my official Team In Training shirt and a training schedule based on the event I chose. I left the meeting feeling cautiously optimistic that this was something I might be able to do with the support they offer.

Then reality set in and my sofa beckoned.