Thursday, February 9, 2012

Half Way To The Half

I'm half way through my training program to run the Flying Pig Half Marathon on May 6th. Over the past 13 weeks, I've run nearly 150 miles with the longest distance being 9 miles. At this point, I know I can complete it...even if I have to walk the last 4 miles.

As I reflect on what I've accomplished so far, I'm amazed. I hadn't run a mile in nearly 30 years and I could barely run to the end of the block. I could not have come this far without the support of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training and my awesome coach Steve Teichow. That said, besides being connected on Facebook and an occasional email, I only see my coach and team mates on the long Saturday runs. My training runs the other four days of the week are up to me and so far I've been on autopilot.

I've had surgery on both my big toes and I suffered from shin splits when I ran in the Marine Corps back in the day. With an implant in one toe and a screw in the other, I thought my feet or shins were going to be my biggest challenge. Turns out neither one is my nemesis.

The biggest challenge, I've discovered, is my mind...keeping it occupied and thinking positively. Music helps A LOT, but sometimes old, tired thinking creeps in questioning my ability, whether I can really do this, etc. This is especially true every time we increase our mileage and I'm breaking a new barrier, a distance I've never run before.

This Saturday morning, I'll be running in the Molly Marine 5K at Parris Island, South Carolina where I first began running. I'll savor the experience and be reflecting on just how far I've come since I first stepped on those yellow footprints nearly 36 years ago.